Thứ Năm, 14 tháng 9, 2017

Traveller Trading Cards page 1

robject
May 31st, 2005, 12:58 PM
I was flipping through my Star Wars cards the other day, old nerd that I am, and I was thinking that perhaps Traveller Cards might be a fun way to encapsulate Traveller information.

For example:

A set of Starship cards, with a four-color, rendered starship on half the card, its name and abbreviated stats on the front, and maybe more details on back.

Question: What kind of starship stats would be most efficiently useful for the front of such a card?

Similarly, a set of Personal equipment cards, with a nice pic of one of Traveller's myriad guns, its name and some stats on the front (damage, range, ???). Or battledress. Or medikit.

Or, how about a set of Character cards, with either generic career-based character profiles and titles, or very specific adventurers drawn from published (Traveller) material? Less useful, perhaps, but a large enough set of character images might be useful for creating a player character's dossier -- a face card, a skill list, a TAS membership card, and equipment cards.

Or, finally, how about World cards, with a nice, rendered world disc, a name, very terse description, and a UWP?


As a lark, for personal amusement, I mocked up a few handfuls of Traveller Trading Cards, using art from CT, MT, TNE, and beyond. Nine of the cards are here:

http://home.comcast.net/~downport/cards/
flykiller
May 31st, 2005, 01:34 PM
A set of Starship cards, with a four-color, rendered starship on half the card, its name and abbreviated stats on the front, and maybe more details on back.poké-high-guard?

could work.

commons: scout ships, frigates
uncommons: cruisers
rares: battleships

energy: crew, fuel

trainers: special maneuvers, captain, training, officers
Fritz_Brown
May 31st, 2005, 02:23 PM
My only concern about this is a Traveller card game coming out of it. :rolleyes: "Magic" for the Sci-Fi set. tongue.gif
robject
May 31st, 2005, 02:38 PM
Egads, no, please, no.
far-trader
May 31st, 2005, 02:38 PM
MegaTraveller had a series of Equipiment Data Sheets that were much like this. A good idea, well done, just a victim of the legacy of MT errata.

On a strange note, related only because it seems to be this topic only and I'm stuck on my old Mac today since the PC is playing dead :rolleyes: Anyway this topic, and this topic only it seems, won't open in Netscrape but it will in Internet Exploder. I hate IE on the Mac, it's glacially slow. Anyway just an oddness.
robject
May 31st, 2005, 03:16 PM
Yeah, Dan, I was thinking of the DGP Data Sheets too. Cards severely restrict the amount of info, but they really could do a similar kind of thing -- sort of provide a kick-start for one's memory, or as an associative index into a sourcebook.
clementk
May 31st, 2005, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by r o b:
I was flipping through my Star Wars cards the other day, old nerd that I am, and I was thinking that perhaps Traveller Cards might be a fun way to encapsulate Traveller information.Interesting. I've seen some games where cards were used and usually they were handy. Just don't require too many to be in your "hand" at any one time. Traveller already uses shortened stat forms for several things.

The Star Wars miniatures game (the WotC collectible one) has a streamlined d20 combat system in almost easy rules. Instead of the Clix games where the stats are on the base and a card is used to decipher the symbols, it uses a card for each character along with a depiction of the character.

I've seen some other miniatures games that did something similar including a pretty good WWII game that didn't require more anything other than cards and a few chits + dice to play. I liked the old Monster Cards for AD&D back in the day.

So sure, this could be fun and useful. A heck of a lot more fun than using @#$@# index cards for everything. graemlins/file_28.gif graemlins/file_23.gif
Shadowdancer
May 31st, 2005, 06:26 PM
I really like the idea of equipment cards. Post a picture and brief description on the front, relevant game info on the back. Would come in handy during a game, so you don't have to keep going back to the book to look up details on what the item does or how it works within the game.

I used to love the old AD&D spell cards for the same reason.
robject
May 31st, 2005, 06:40 PM
Yep, I was thinking of those nice pictures of weapons... in fact, I bet something like that can be cobbled together very easily, perhaps within the Fair Use policy.

Here, how about weapon cards like thse:

http://home.comcast.net/~downport/cards/accelerator-rifle-card.jpg


http://home.comcast.net/~downport/cards/gauss-rifle-card.jpg
kafka47
May 31st, 2005, 08:30 PM
Very nice job, Rob. This is one form of trading card that I would whole heartedly support so long as artifical scarcity was not created thereby creating a trading card phenomena that would kill the original market like Mythos almost did for Cthulhu.

BTW, it ought to be Imperial Marines not Lucan's Marines to keep it more neutral.
Darkhstarr
May 31st, 2005, 11:19 PM
Illustrated ship trading cards or even just stat cards would be nice. So would be a Classic Traveller Gamemaster's shield. I'm still using my old Judge's Guild Traveller shield(when I can find it-misplaced along with my game notes/character sheets/plans just before Nuke-Con & just found them last week.) & it's good but not complete with needed GM/Player info.
Baron Saarthuran
June 1st, 2005, 12:49 AM
Here's some stuff I been goofing around with for a bit. I try to do a set of Character cards for every crew PC for each campaign I'm in, but sometimes I totally slack off on it.

http://www.geocities.com/chuckshaw2000/cardtests.html

I also did the Trade Goods Cards in the flibrary, tho someone later went and recut them.

I also did a set of monopoly like cards for the Night Parliament Game (which was a flop, BTW) to show the individual holdings of the noble PCs...
clementk
June 1st, 2005, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by Fritz88:
My only concern about this is a Traveller card game coming out of it. :rolleyes: "Magic" for the Sci-Fi set. tongue.gif Not all card games based on or related to RPGs these days have to be CCG/TCGs. smile.gif :cool: Munchkin (link) (http://www.sjgames.com/munchkin/game/) and the only version of SFB I can stomach these days, Star Fleet Battle Force (link) (http://www.starfleetgames.com/sfbf.htm), for example.

After burning out on CCG/TCGs I like all-in-one-box card games. Expansions are ok but should be optional. The best of the lot are about as much fun as a rpg or miniatures game but with much less time commitment and complexity. I can get players for these games that would never touch a rpg or miniatures game (yet tongue.gif ) .

I'd be interested in a space/sci-fi themed card game along these lines*, such as something based on/for Traveller. Preferably with a nod to the rules innovations and attention to components of recent "Euro" card games.

(edit: general editing)
clementk
June 1st, 2005, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by kafka47:
This is one form of trading card that I would whole heartedly support so long as artifical scarcity was not created thereby creating a trading card phenomena that would kill the original market like Mythos almost did for Cthulhu.Chaosium almost went under for various reasons. Overprinting Mythos was a major factor. The idea of the CCG itself wasn’t IMO bad and the game’s pretty good. That they have since done mostly reprints and IMO dropped the ball on Pulp Cthulhu, stopped putting d20 stats in their books, etc. likely hasn’t helped either. I don’t know if devoting solely to Call of Cthulhu helped or hurt. As a sidenote there is a new CoC CCG from FFG. Hopefully it’ll do better for Chaosium.

Personally I'm liking the format used by Anachronism (link) (http://www.trikinggames.com/). You get the starter box with a mat, two sets of playable cards, and a die. Boosters are fixed sets based around a character from history or myth. It's more of a "non-collectible collectible card game". smile.gif I do like having rules in a separate booklet though.

A problem with this approach though is a store might end up with (say for a Traveller game of this sort) all the K’Kree and Vilani packs unsold while not being able to keep the Aslan, Solomani, and Vargr packs in stock. ;)

The Hiver packs will not be noticed but you will purchase every single one on the shelf. <Hiver hand wiggle> Especially the one with the blue soccer ball card.

Every Hiver pack has a blue soccer ball card.

(*ahem*)
clementk
June 1st, 2005, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by Manax Darkhstarr:
Illustrated ship trading cards or even just stat cards would be nice. So would be a Classic Traveller Gamemaster's shield.I like the examples linked to so far and the Baron's trading cards are very handy, esp. for the price. Traveller has dabbled with using index cards before but I think illustrated trading card size cards would be more appealing and just as, if not more, useful.

As for a CT gaming screen, QLI at one time mentioned one when the T20 screen was being worked on. It's either been canceled or just set aside for now.
clementk
June 1st, 2005, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by Baron Saarthuran von Gushiddan:
I also did a set of monopoly like cards for the Night Parliament Game (which was a flop, BTW) to show the individual holdings of the noble PCs... Too bad. To me a "higher view" game like that is one of the few things I think pbem would do better than chat or tabletop gaming. I was busy in other games at the time IIRC.

Cards, virtual or real, could be very helpful in such a game. I always have liked handouts and such for a rpg ever since Call of Cthulhu, which usually had a handouts section in each book.
Baron Saarthuran
June 1st, 2005, 04:13 AM
Nobility, It turned out was quite a thing to handle for the PC. Hiring attendants alone, and assigning them to various tasks was a frustrating process, as was the proper management of bodyguards, yachts, factories, and all sorts of other holdings... One player, an Aslan, had at least 15 Wives (it would literally be unthinkable for him not to be married) , and thier attendants, and entourages, at least 8 of his wives didn't even speak Galanglic!

So it ain't all goin to parties and Art shows!
DElrick
June 1st, 2005, 07:24 AM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Manax Darkhstarr:
Illustrated ship trading cards or even just stat cards would be nice. So would be a Classic Traveller Gamemaster's shield.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


One of the few JG things that I kept was the CT GM's shield. It's showing it's age and looking a bit patched-up now though.

I like the idea of data cards for starships and weapons. Maybe characters too, although they might be less useful.

I currently use index cards for weapon and ship stats. I also have the old character cards that came with Tarsus and Beltstrike. None have pictures though.

Most useful (to me anyway) would be cards for alien races and animals. I like to be abe to show my players pictures of what they see and it would make things easier than holding up a page from a book/magazine and trying to cover the game stats...

Cheers

David
Andrew Boulton
June 1st, 2005, 08:41 AM
I'm not sure how well data cards would work in the real world. They're too easy to lose or get damaged, and if you've got more than a few dozen it could take a while to find the one you want.

OTOH, if they're colour-coded (say, red for guns, blue for ships etc), and they're cheap to replace, maybe it'll work.

Blank ones you can fill in yourself would be handy.

<ping! lightbulb appears!>

Get a cheap pack of playing cards and some suitably-sized labels, scan some appropriate artwork, print the art and stats onto the labels, stick them onto the cards, et viola!
Fritz_Brown
June 1st, 2005, 09:47 AM
Or, you can just buy card stock that is perforated into the right size, Andrew. It would save several steps.... ;) I know you can get business card size, and I am pretty positive you can get index card size, too.
robject
June 1st, 2005, 11:19 AM
Fritz has it. A JPEG or PDF sheet of cards can be printed onto cardstock. Very economical.

Plus you can mark them up as your ship takes damage. Or note customizations.

So, what kind of stats would you want to see on the front of a ship data card? Something brief enough to convey the essentials while still being useful?

Something like this, perhaps?
http://home.comcast.net/~downport/cards/ScoutCard.jpg

Cards can be for ... Anything.

Character
Objects.
Memberships
Skills
Skill Groups
Talents (language, etc).
Guns.
Vehicles
Starships

If you use the 3x3 card holder grid, your character may have more of these cards, but these are the ones immediately available. Or maybe more on the back of the sheet.

So. A typical deck has 55 cards. An alternative is 110 cards.

What is an ideal population for such a deck?

~5% Starships?
~5% Vehicles?
~5% Alien races?
~5% Generic NPCs? (rookie, veteran) x (rogue, noble, mercenary, trader)?
~3% Important figures? (Strephon, Norris...)?
~1% Membership cards? (TAS)
~38% Weapons?
~38% Pieces of equipment?

Double that for a deck of 110?

How about crimps? (Has that ever worked for anyone?)
Fritz_Brown
June 1st, 2005, 12:09 PM
Yep, I just checked, and Avery has business cards (2x3.5 - 8-10 per sheet), postcards (4+x5.5, 4 to a sheet), note cards (folded to 4+x5.5 - 2 to a sheet), laminated ID cards (2x3+ and 3 to a sheet - I don't know why), and ID kits (a profile page, with laminated IDs). The last one could be used to make PC folders, I think. (And, use the extras to do ID kits for your kids!)

I think you would have to cut the postcards down, though, if you wanted something on the order of 3x5.
Chuck Anumia
June 1st, 2005, 01:04 PM
Very Cool Rob!
It would be great to see Far Future to do something like this professionaly.
robject
June 1st, 2005, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Baron W. The PreacherMan:
Very Cool Rob!
It would be great to see Far Future to do something like this professionaly. So tell me what would be the most useful or the most interesting to you. Tell me what kind of deck distribution you'd want to see. And would you want everything in one deck, or a set of specific decks, or 'booster packs', or?
robject
June 1st, 2005, 01:37 PM
What should the cards have?

A technical point. Cards have to have "Common Bleed." all borders where they
bleed off the card have to be the same (Traveller Black?). The "frame" can
be a color code.

Are all the backs the same? Or are they color coded?

Color codes:
Red: weapons?
Blue: vehicles?
Green: characters/npcs/animals?
Black: spacecraft/starships/worlds?
others?

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">
Characters.

NPCs.

People (personalities, whether human or non-human).

Vehicles:
ATV
Air/Raft
Speeder
GCarrier
Grav Fighter
others?

Starships: we need all the adventure class starships (12 or so).
S
Packet
A
A2
Gazelle
K
L
M
R
T
C
others?

Spacecraft: All of the essential small craft from CT.
Lifeboat
Launch
Gig
Rampart
Pinnaces
Modular Cutter
Shuttle
others?
Lifepod?

Animals/Monsters/Beasts.

Worlds.
Regina? (too specific?)

Places (on worlds or otherwise).

Weapons.
Snub Pistol.
Pistol.
Rifle.
Carbine.
SMG.
Etc.
Not really more than one of each basic type.
Cutlass.
Dagger (or survival Knife).
Some exotic weapons like Taser. Dazer. Blazer. Hazer. Netgun. Stink Gun.

Object/Things/Equipment (other than above).
Some basic objects.
Communicator.
Broad Spectrum Binocs.
Etc.

Treasures. Special Items. Artifacts. Trade Goods.
Black globe.

Events. Disasters. Problems.

Rewards.
SHE.
MCUF.
PHD.
Patent of Nobility.
TAS Membership.</pre>[/QUOTE]CrImps?

What else?
Fritz_Brown
June 1st, 2005, 02:35 PM
I like the Weapons, Vehicles, and Spaceships ideas. Equipment would get to be too much, unless you just published a few representative items. I wouldn't go with things like Artifacts or OTU history (Events/Disasters/etc.). But, I really like the idea of putting the SEC/MCUF/etc. on a set, along with Nobility.

I would see these being used (as Paraquat mentioned) as quick aids in play. I think they should have a picture on the front, with stats on the back - like baseball cards. And, I would publish them grouped: vehicles/spacecraft, weapons/equipment, npcs/decorations/nobility.

And, whoever did this should publish an electronic file that could be filled in, so you could print your own. So, you could print a set for YTU with the SW spacecraft, if you want; or, you could print ones for your group's PCs, just for fun.
far-trader
June 1st, 2005, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by r o b:
What should the cards have?

A technical point. Cards have to have "Common Bleed." all borders where they
bleed off the card have to be the same (Traveller Black?). The "frame" can
be a color code.

Are all the backs the same? Or are they color coded?White is a better common bleed for home printing (no ink)

A color frame for coding is a good idea. Carry it to the back as a single stripe (ala LBB) on a white background to again save ink. As for the actual colors, that's trickier to pick. We want it clear and easy to print so no custom colors or too close shades. Can we get by with just four colors (Black and three primary, Red, Blue, Green) and maybe White (no color)? Yellow could also be used if needed but Purple and Orange being too close in shade to Blue and Red should be avoided.

I'd suggest:

Green for Lifeforms - to include PC, NPC, Aliens and Creatures.

Blue for Locations - to include standard UPP planets, satellites, starports, cities and such.

Red for Skills/Feats - to include notes of uses and such.

Yellow for Treasures* - to include Artifacts, Trade Goods (speculative and freight), and such.

Black for Equipment - to include Weapons, Gear, Vehicles, Craft, and Ships.

White for Decorations - to include memberships, awards, medals, and ID and such.

* Well yeah, why not r o b smile.gif I like it.
Fritz_Brown
June 1st, 2005, 03:30 PM
I wouldn't want skills/feats on the cards - now you're basically reprinting the books on cards. That just seems excessive. I would keep it small to start - if there is a great clamor for additional bits, then print them up.

I think the reason I shudder at the "Treasures" bit is it sounds a little too much like D&D. Do you really need quick and ready reference to info on Artifacts? That would be ok just sitting in a book (or referee's notebook). (And, there are already speculative trading cards, right?) I think the same dynamic is why I would avoid skills (and feats).

I would avoid planets, etc. because 1) you can't possibly get enough info on them to make them terribly useful, and 2) there are too blasted many. Also, who would decide the canonicity of worlds for their inclusion, or the milieu that would be included? There are constant questions about those very issues here on the boards.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea - I would just start with the things a player (or referee) might like to have that would just pertain to his/her character. Weapons, some equipment, vehicles, and the starship the group is using to get around. And, there might be a desire to have decorations displayed proudly in a Merc campaign.

rob, why would you need only one color around the edges? Would that be related to cutting the cards apart/out of the sheet? Because, I would solve that by only printing items from the same group on one set of card stock. It would help to be able to see the type of cards by looking at the edge - like finding a certain team in your baseball cards by looking for the right color.

I think I like rob's color scheme better than Dan's. Though, I think the stripe on the back is a good idea.
robject
June 1st, 2005, 04:06 PM
Fritz! Dan! Thanks for the input!


Apparently, the edge color is related to the printing process, assuming the printing of a 55-card (or 110-card) deck. That's all I know. It's a limiting factor (it would be easier on us to have different edge colors), but I suspect it's also cost-related.

Great points, thank you. I also cringed when I thought about Worlds on cards. Worlds need a full page, for the map and text... and mainworlds need an extra page for the star system layout and additional text, plus what about cities and regions...

But then, as a small number of OTU cards they might be 'cute': a Regina card, a Strephon card, a Black Globe card. And Ditzie.

Skills would be terrible on cards. Now, give me a PDF form with lined, blank card forms for listing my own PCs skills, and that's a different matter entirely.

The stripe does sound pretty cool.

So then, assuming there is common agreement with at least this type of content:

Vehicles (appx 5)
Essential Spacecraft (appx 8) [black]
Essential Starships (appx 10) [black]
Decorations (MCUF, Patents, TAS, etc) (appx 5) [white?]
TU * (i.e. Strephon, Regina) (appx 2) [green?]
Essential Weapons (appx 15-20) [red]
Basic Equipment (appx 5-10) [blue?]

Fitting this into a 55-card deck would be optimal. If not, then a 110-card deck, but that would probably be half-again as expensive, and not be generally as useful (that's a lot of cards to keep track of).

* TU cards could conceivably fit into a separate, 55-card deck, containing more equipment, less common weapons, personalities, alien races, and elements of the Imperial Fleet. But 3 in the standard deck 'would be nice'.

[b]Which weapons would you have in the 'essentials' list?

Which pieces of equipment are the absolutely most useful?

And, am I missing any useful decorations?
Fritz_Brown
June 1st, 2005, 04:43 PM
1) So the 55 card limit is playing into this, eh. I was viewing it more like baseball cards, with a dozen or so for each category. Don't know which would be cheaper to produce - playing cards style would probably be sturdier in the long run. (I played with a deck of Braniff Airline cards for years - who will date themselves and admit they remember Braniff?)

2) I would include all the decorations from CT/MT.

3) Weapons:
Revolver, Auto Pistol, Body Pistol, ACR, Auto Rifle, Laser Rifle, Gauss Rifle, Snub Pistol, Accelerator Rifle(?), Shotgun, SMG, Blade, Cutlass, Dagger, Bayonet, Foil, Fists (for Brawling), PGMPs, and FGMPs
(Some would include, say, rifle stats, with the carbine mods below that. Energy weapons would show the most common or intro TL, then mods below that.)

4) Equipment:
Vacc Suit, different armors, Respirator, Autodoc, 1 for vision enhancing devices...
robject
June 1st, 2005, 05:09 PM
Hey Fritz, I think I still have my Braniff deck (Brown with tan insignia?).

I'd prefer baseball cards, but oh well.

After collating and absorbing, here's my list so far:

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Total: 53 cards

Craft (black/no inset border) [22]:
Vehicles [4]:
ATV
Air/Raft
Speeder
GCarrier

Starships [10]:
S
A
A2
Y
K
L
M
R
T
C

Spacecraft [8]:
Lifeboat
Launch
Gig
Rampart
Slow Pinnace
Fast Pinnace
Modular Cutter
Shuttle

Equipment [21]:
Weapons (red inset border) [14]:
Snub Pistol
Autopistol
ACR
Autorifle
Laser Rifle
Carbine
Laser Carbine
Gauss Rifle
Shotgun
SMG
PGMP/FGMP
Cutlass
Survival Knife
Foil

Basic objects (blue inset border) [7]:
Vac Suit
Combat armor
Battledress
Respirator
Medikit
Communicator
Broad Spectrum Binocs

Decorations (gold inset border) [8]:
TAS Membership
IISS Card
Patent of Nobility (Knight)
Patent of Nobility (Baron)
PhD Certificate
MCUF
MCG
SEH

TU (green inset border) [2]:
Strephon
Regina</pre>[/QUOTE]
far-trader
June 1st, 2005, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Fritz88:
I wouldn't want skills/feats on the cards - now you're basically reprinting the books on cards. That just seems excessive. I would keep it small to start - if there is a great clamor for additional bits, then print them up.Well, I was just playing off the suggestion of PC cards. There's no way you could fit the skills on the same card, so skill cards. If the idea is to use the cards as a short cut for book looking then yes you (or at least I) want a (very) basic reprinting of the rules on them. It's no different than having each of the weapons reprinted on cards.

As for excessive, well it should start small as you suggest, but planning needs to be in place for the full idea. The minimum should include that. The very basics and some blanks for adding your own to fill until what you want is produced. And most of my ideas are geared to home printing rather than production print runs since I don't see that being profitable.

Originally posted by Fritz88:
I think the reason I shudder at the "Treasures" bit is it sounds a little too much like D&D. Do you really need quick and ready reference to info on Artifacts? That would be ok just sitting in a book (or referee's notebook). (And, there are already speculative trading cards, right?) I think the same dynamic is why I would avoid skills (and feats).I don't see the same dynamic in play but I do see the Artifact problem. They would be mostly a one off and not terribly necessary agreed. They could be included in an adventure write-up though as a special card to give the player who finds it. This would also be a great way to add cards to the list. You produce a new adventure for QLI and it has some specific gear, so it gets a card set too. Have a new skill you want to introduce for an adventure, card that too. Eventually enough new cards can be collected from the adventures to produce a new option set.

And yes there are (a couple at least I think) merchant trade card sets but it would be nice to see them included in the plan to make them all asthetically cohesive in terms of size, artwork, typeface and such. That was my reason for mentioning them.


Originally posted by Fritz88:
I would avoid planets, etc. because 1) you can't possibly get enough info on them to make them terribly useful, and 2) there are too blasted many. Also, who would decide the canonicity of worlds for their inclusion, or the milieu that would be included? There are constant questions about those very issues here on the boards.For me the UPP would be enough, and the translation of it to english would be a boon to new players and referees. That would easily fit, and a nice graphic of the world type/size would be cool. You could go nuts and make a set of every combination but again the way to do it would be as part of publication, wherein the details would be covered. When you have enough, or just as it's own, you make a subsector or sector set. Oh, with the hex-ss-sector titled at the top for easy filing of course.

Originally posted by Fritz88:
Don't get me wrong, I like the idea - I would just start with the things a player (or referee) might like to have that would just pertain to his/her character. Weapons, some equipment, vehicles, and the starship the group is using to get around. And, there might be a desire to have decorations displayed proudly in a Merc campaign.No problem, I'm just putting this out for the discussion of it. Can't have good ideas without someone putting out bad ones to measure them against smile.gif I agree, intitial set of the basics, and if that meets rave revues and demand then add to it.
robject
June 1st, 2005, 05:44 PM
You guys are very helpful. Thank you.
far-trader
June 1st, 2005, 05:59 PM
Inserts of possible additions...

Originally posted by lackey:
After collating and absorbing, here's my list so far:

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Total: 53 cards

Craft (black/no inset border) [22]:
Vehicles [4]:
ATV
Air/Raft
Speeder
GCarrier

Grav Belt, Grav Bike, Cargo Loader.

Starships [10]:
S
A
A2
Y
K
L
M
R
T
C

Spacecraft [8]:
Lifeboat
Launch
Gig
Rampart
Slow Pinnace
Fast Pinnace
Modular Cutter
Shuttle

Cutter Module(s) seperatly.

Equipment [21]:
Weapons (red inset border) [14]:
Snub Pistol
Autopistol
ACR
Autorifle
Laser Rifle
Carbine
Laser Carbine
Gauss Rifle
Shotgun
SMG
PGMP/FGMP
Cutlass
Survival Knife
Foil

Missing Laser Pistol and Revolver.

PGMP/FGMP might be better included in an expansion of Military/Heavy Arms &amp; Armor.

Maybe add Grenades, Telescopic Sights and Electronic Sights.

Basic objects (blue inset border) [7]:
Vac Suit
Combat armor
Battledress
Respirator
Medikit
Communicator
Broad Spectrum Binocs

Missing Reflec, Flak Jacket, Cloth Armor, Combat
Environment Suit, and Hostile Environment Suit,
and perhaps others but I don't see them much
used. Checkmark boxes for Chameleon Coat and Psi
Shield options for the suits? Add Psi Shield
Helm, Hand Computer, Flashlight, and Broad
Spectrum Goggles.

Again I'd put the Battle Dress (note, two words) in a Military/Heavy Arms &amp; Armor expansion.

Decorations (gold inset border) [8]:
TAS Membership
IISS Card
Patent of Nobility (Knight)
Patent of Nobility (Baron)
PhD Certificate
MCUF
MCG
SEH

IN Card, etc. (all services or none); TAS
Reporter Credentials; (academic awards)
Foundation Fellowship, Science Academy, Zhunasta
Prize; Digest Touring Award.


TU (green inset border) [2]:
Strephon
Regina

Terra/SOL</pre>[/quote]Off the top of my head.
far-trader
June 1st, 2005, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by lackey:
You guys are very helpful. Thank you. More than happy to help, this is one thing I'd like to see sooner than later in some form or another smile.gif
robject
June 1st, 2005, 06:51 PM
Here's some prototype starship cards I cooked up, just for grins.

http://home.comcast.net/~downport/cards/starships.html
far-trader
June 1st, 2005, 08:22 PM
Pretty, and cool, pretty cool smile.gif

Of course that's if I can buy them, if I have to print them at home I'd be more partial to simple line drawing art of just the ship in profile and overhead, like a "Jane's Ships of the Imperium". In fact I'd probably take that as a choice even if I wasn't the one printing them smile.gif Color photoreal is nice but sometimes too distracting and imagination limiting. What if MTU's IN paints all it's ships Royal Purple and the photos on the cards show them all in Blood Red? (just as a fer example)

Same goes for gear, simple line art preferred. Let me imagine the rifle is gun metal blue, desert camo browns, or jungle camo greens smile.gif
robject
June 1st, 2005, 10:24 PM
Good ideas for the Jane's images. And ditto for equipment -- especially since MT et al printed just about all the line art we need.
robject
June 1st, 2005, 10:48 PM
OK, I would like 200 suggestions for cards. Here's Dan and my list, ordered (78 items):

[Armor] Battle Dress
[Armor] Chameleon Fatigues
[Armor] Cloth Armor
[Armor] Combat Armor
[Armor] Combat Environment Suit
[Armor] Flak Jacket
[Armor] Hostile Environment Suit,
[Armor] Reflec
[Armor] Vac Suit
[Decorations] Digest Touring Award
[Decorations] Foundation Fellowship
[Decorations] IISS Card
[Decorations] IN Card
[Decorations] MCG
[Decorations] MCUF
[Decorations] Patent of Nobility (Baron)
[Decorations] Patent of Nobility (Knight)
[Decorations] PhD Certificate
[Decorations] SEH
[Decorations] Science Academy
[Decorations] TAS Membership
[Decorations] TAS Reporter Credentials
[Decorations] Zhunastu Prize
[Equipment] Broad Spectrum Goggles
[Equipment] Communicator
[Equipment] Electronic sight
[Equipment] Flashlight
[Equipment] Hand Computer
[Equipment] Medikit
[Equipment] Psi Shield
[Equipment] Respirator
[Equipment] Telescopic sight
[OTU] Regina
[OTU] Strephon
[OTU] Terra/SOL
[Spacecraft] Cutter Module(s) seperately
[Spacecraft] Fast Pinnace
[Spacecraft] Gig
[Spacecraft] Launch
[Spacecraft] Lifeboat
[Spacecraft] Modular Cutter
[Spacecraft] Rampart
[Spacecraft] Shuttle
[Spacecraft] Slow Pinnace
[Starship] A
[Starship] A2
[Starship] C
[Starship] K
[Starship] L
[Starship] M
[Starship] R
[Starship] S
[Starship] T
[Starship] Y
[Vehicle] ATV
[Vehicle] Air/Raft
[Vehicle] Cargo Loader
[Vehicle] GCarrier
[Vehicle] Grav Belt
[Vehicle] Grav Bike
[Vehicle] Speeder
[Weapon] ACR
[Weapon] Autopistol
[Weapon] Autorifle
[Weapon] Carbine
[Weapon] Cutlass
[Weapon] Foil
[Weapon] Frag Grenade
[Weapon] Gauss Rifle
[Weapon] Laser Carbine
[Weapon] Laser Pistol
[Weapon] Laser Rifle
[Weapon] PGMP/FGMP
[Weapon] Revolver
[Weapon] SMG
[Weapon] Shotgun
[Weapon] Snub Pistol
[Weapon] Survival Knife
far-trader
June 1st, 2005, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by lackey:
Good ideas for the Jane's images. And ditto for equipment -- especially since MT et al printed just about all the line art we need. That's kinda what I was thinking too. As well as the more recent line art for T20 smile.gif
robject
June 2nd, 2005, 09:11 AM
Finally, I suspect this is, at best, going to be a narrow niche -- essentially the size of a promotional market. Or, if PDF printable, basically no true market to speak of.

Anyone think otherwise?
flykiller
June 2nd, 2005, 09:48 AM
Anyone think otherwise?have to agree. if I were to get something like this I'd be left wondering what to do with it, other than gaze longingly.

now poké-high-guard, on the other hand, might generate its own market ....
Fritz_Brown
June 2nd, 2005, 10:46 AM
First,
Originally posted by lackey:
Finally, I suspect this is, at best, going to be a narrow niche -- essentially the size of a promotional market. Or, if PDF printable, basically no true market to speak of.

Anyone think otherwise? That's why I think weapons, equipment, vehicles, and spacecraft is the best starting point. A player can have a handful of cards that describe (and give stats in multiple versions for things like weapons) what he is most concerned with. And, he doesn't have to open the book, just quickly shuffle through his cards (no more than a dozen for a player).

Second, lists....
I would include the laser pistol, possibly. But, I would combine the laser rifle and carbine. The things are almost identical, except for some of the stats. (Same for Autorifle and Carbine, I think.) Replace Autopistol with Pistol (to cover Body and Auto versions). This isn't about reducing the number of required cards, but about how interchangeable some items are.

OTU cards: The major races - Aslan, Vargr, Zhodani. Maybe Droyne, Darrians, Sword Worlders. Please, not the Bwaps. tongue.gif

PSI shield? Do folks even use those in play? We never saw them in our games. (Of course, we had two characters with psi abilities....)

You dropped Binocs off the list when you added Goggles. Also, do we really want one for Hand Computer? Look at all the grief Traveller gets for its concept of Computers today. Do we want to set ourselves up for that?

Third, I would like color art, but I like the Jane's Weapons of the Imperium, too. It does allow more to be left to the imagination. Of course, if they have color frames, and color stripes, will that make B&W line drawings look dull? :( That would be the only concern with the line drawings.

Originally posted by lackey:
Hey Fritz, I think I still have my Braniff deck (Brown with tan insignia?).
It might have been brown. Mine is a dark orange with gold trim. It shows a bit of wear, but it is 30 years old. Of course, my baseball card collection from 1974 is still pristine, but it has been in a box most of that time......
robject
June 2nd, 2005, 11:42 AM
As far as color art and the Jane's drawings: even line art can look intentional and professional. For example, the drawings themselves can rest on a blue-ruled grid, or in a blueprint tone.

Still playing with the formatting...

http://home.comcast.net/~downport/cards/Card-Gauss-Rifle.jpg
Fritz_Brown
June 2nd, 2005, 02:28 PM
That's not bad, rob. Don't know if the color is a bit overwhelming, though. (BTW, I would still like the picture on the front, w/ a name, with all the stats on the back.)
robject
June 2nd, 2005, 05:35 PM
I've cooled down on the card thing being worthy of a production run, and instead am figuring out how to get some (free) PDFs of weapons et al, useful and available. Then we'll see if they're popular or just faddish.

For weapons, I need to add mass and boxes for tracking ammo.

And since I'm playing with these on my own, I'm thinking of making the border one solid color (in this case, all Red, perhaps a little washed out?). I'm not sure if there's an easy way to design baseball-cards (i.e. front and back images), but maybe someone out there knows?
Fritz_Brown
June 2nd, 2005, 05:38 PM
Let me give it a shot through Monday, rob. I have previously printed my own 2-sided business cards.
robject
June 2nd, 2005, 06:21 PM
Now I'm playing with the borders a bit. I made the color-edge quite narrow -- does it look any better?
far-trader
June 2nd, 2005, 06:43 PM
I like it better smile.gif If the two sided printing to card stock can be figured out then it will be perfect with a bigger picture and the data on the back.
far-trader
June 2nd, 2005, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Fritz88:

PSI shield? Do folks even use those in play? We never saw them in our games. (Of course, we had two characters with psi abilities....)We did, often as a gauge for the game. If we could find and buy PSI shielding we felt pretty safe figuring the ref was just soaking us for creds knowing we'd never need them. If on the other hand we went shopping and couldn't get them for any price we were expecting a Psionic encounter. Of course just using that reasoning for the purpose of paranoia or complacency was fun too graemlins/file_23.gif

Originally posted by Fritz88:
Also, do we really want one for Hand Computer? Look at all the grief Traveller gets for its concept of Computers today. Do we want to set ourselves up for that?You may have a point. But what the heck, live dangerously and to the pit with the critics.

Actually let's get a list of all the wants, then trim that down by consensus, vote and/or practical reasons for the first production run.
Shadowdancer
June 2nd, 2005, 07:14 PM
Something to add to the card "wish list" -- cards for the various drugs. When I saw this thread, that is what I first thought of -- not cards for weapons or equipment or starships. In our last game session, we were sent scrambling to the book several times to look up which drug was which (Slow? Medical Slow?) and what the drug did in game terms. I'm going to make a little cheat sheet for next time, but having the cards -- along with others for weapons, equipment and starships -- would be nice.

And I think a handcomp card is necessary. It and vacc suit are probably the two most common, non-weapon, non-armor personal items used in Traveller. I think a basic, generic PDA-type illustration would be safe enough to use, along with the game stats.

So far, the card demos look good. Is it possible to put CT and T20 stats on them? I know we can't put stats for all the versions of Traveller, but CT and T20 would probably cover the largest pool of players.
far-trader
June 2nd, 2005, 08:09 PM
CT and T20 would be my current preference too but I'm not doing the work (yet smile.gif ) so it may depend on our lackey's * current interest.

* yes I've been rolling that one around in my head since you changed your name smile.gif

If the two sided printing idea works then it could be a not too hard step to change just the data side for other versions or even just print the one side and make your own stats on the reverse.

I wondering about how hard it would be to get permission to use previously published Traveller art for the illustrations. Either as a QLI product under the new license deal or just as a fan-production for free distribution. But this is not my project, I'm just trying to mess it up as much as I can ;)
far-trader
June 2nd, 2005, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by lackey:
OK, I would like 200 suggestions for cards.OK, updated list. consolidated some, added some, edited some. Dropped the OTU section. Now totals 122 suggestions:

[Armor] Aquatic Suit
[Armor] Battle Dress
[Armor] Chameleon Suit
[Armor] Cloth Armor
[Armor] Combat Armor
[Armor] Combat Environment Suit
[Armor] Flak Jacket
[Armor] Hostile Environment Suit
[Armor] Powered Suit
[Armor] Reflec
[Armor] Vac Suit

[Decorations] Digest Touring Award
[Decorations] Foundation Fellowship
[Decorations] Imperial Citizenship
[Decorations] IISS Card
[Decorations] IA Card
[Decorations] IN Card
[Decorations] IM Card
[Decorations] MCG
[Decorations] MCUF
[Decorations] Mercenary License
[Decorations] Patent of Nobility (Baron)
[Decorations] Patent of Nobility (Knight)
[Decorations] PhD Certificate
[Decorations] Professional License
[Decorations] Prospecting License
[Decorations] Salvage License
[Decorations] SEH
[Decorations] Science Academy
[Decorations] TAS Membership
[Decorations] TAS Reporter Credentials
[Decorations] Trade Guild Membership
[Decorations] Zhunastu Prize

[Drugs] Antibiotics
[Drugs] Antitoxins
[Drugs] Combat
[Drugs] Fast
[Drugs] Metaboloics
[Drugs] Slow
[Drugs] Truth
[Drugs] Vaccines

[Equipment] Atmospheric Reentry Pack
[Equipment] Binoculars, Electronic
[Equipment] Binoculars, Optical
[Equipment] Breathing Mask, Atmospheric
[Equipment] Breathing Mask, Aquatic
[Equipment] Communicator, Portable
[Equipment] Flashlight
[Equipment] Goggles, Night Vision
[Equipment] Goggles, Protective
[Equipment] Hand Computer
[Equipment] Medical Kit
[Equipment] Medical Scanner, Portable
[Equipment] Ore Assay Kit
[Equipment] Parachute
[Equipment] Psi Shield Helm
[Equipment] Recorder, Audio
[Equipment] Recorder, Video
[Equipment] Zero-G Maneuver Pack

[Spacecraft] Fighter
[Spacecraft] Gig
[Spacecraft] Launch
[Spacecraft] Ship's Boat
[Spacecraft] Slow Boat
[Spacecraft] Pinnace
[Spacecraft] Slow Pinnace
[Spacecraft] Modular Cutter Frame
[Spacecraft] Modular Cutter Module
[Spacecraft] Shuttle

[Starship] A Free-Trader
[Starship] _ Far-Trader
[Starship] C Mercenary
[Starship] E Escort
[Starship] J Seeker
[Starship] K Safari
[Starship] L Laboratory
[Starship] M Liner
[Starship] P Privateer
[Starship] R Merchant
[Starship] S Scout
[Starship] T Patrol
[Starship] Y Yacht

[Vehicle] ATV
[Vehicle] Air Craft
[Vehicle] Air/Raft
[Vehicle] Cargo Loader
[Vehicle] GCarrier
[Vehicle] Grav Belt
[Vehicle] Grav Bike
[Vehicle] Ground Vehicle
[Vehicle] Speeder
[Vehicle] Water Craft

[Weapon] ACR
[Weapon] Carbine
[Weapon] Cutlass
[Weapon] FGMP
[Weapon] Foil
[Weapon] Gauss
[Weapon] Grenade
[Weapon] Gyrojet
[Weapon] Laser
[Weapon] PGMP
[Weapon] Pistol
[Weapon] Revolver
[Weapon] Rifle
[Weapon] SMG
[Weapon] Shotgun
[Weapon] Survival Knife
[Weapon] Weapon Sight, Electronic
[Weapon] Weapon Sight, Optical

oops, almost forgot,

[Race] Aslan
[Race] Darrian
[Race] Droyne
[Race] Hiver
[Race] K'kree
[Race] Luriani
[Race] Solomani
[Race] Sydite
[Race] Ursa
[Race] Vargr
[Race] Vilani
[Race] Virushi
[Race] Zhodani
far-trader
June 2nd, 2005, 09:36 PM
On the printing issue, it used to be every word processing program had style sheets and every lable sheet company would have downloadable style sheets for it's specific lable layouts, including business cards. Haven't looked into it in some time but I might have a look about this weekend and see what I can find.

That'd be the easiest, find a layout ready-made for business card perforated sheets. Print them, laminate if desired, seperate and enjoy.
clementk
June 2nd, 2005, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by far-trader:
On the printing issue

&lt;snip&gt;

That'd be the easiest, find a layout ready-made for business card perforated sheets. Print them, laminate if desired, seperate and enjoy. The usual standard is IIRC Avery even if the cards in question aren't by Avery. Regardless, templates should either be in your word processor or downloadable like you mentioned.

http://www.avery.com/

I've used such sheets before for playtesting cards and they work nice. I'd suggest using card protectors (anyplace that sells trading or game cards should have some) esp. for use in testing.
far-trader
June 2nd, 2005, 10:07 PM
Yeah, good thought on the sleeves Casey. Got tons around here from that stupid CCG phase smile.gif

And they're cheap if anyone doesn't have them.
robject
June 2nd, 2005, 10:21 PM
Dan,

It might not be hard to get a limited licence to produce these, including the art. Maybe. We'll burn that bridge if we get that far.

Rob
far-trader
June 2nd, 2005, 10:55 PM
That sounds supiciously like a plan graemlins/file_22.gif

Let's call it Plan B since Plan A never works smile.gif
robject
June 2nd, 2005, 11:46 PM
I've got a couple of ideas, yes graemlins/file_23.gif

I've uploaded 300 DPI versions of four weapons cards. In "real life" they measure 3.5 x 2.5. The images are wrong on some of them.

I've started to move stats off the front of the card, though mass, length, and rounds ought (?) to be rules-independent (??).

I imagine these things look better in print than on the web.

http://home.comcast.net/~downport/cards/Card-Gauss-Rifle.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~downport/cards/Card-Laser-Rifle.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~downport/cards/Card-ACR.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~downport/cards/Card-Assault-Rifle.jpg
Fritz_Brown
June 3rd, 2005, 09:50 AM
Dan, rob, I think business cards would be a touch too small. I can't find an Avery product that would do 2.5x3.5 (poker-size playing cards). But, as I said, let me give it a try.

rob, what are the dimensions (aspect ratio) on the jpgs you have done? (They are huge in my browser...)
Andrew Boulton
June 3rd, 2005, 10:21 AM
They need to be big - screens are 72dpi, print is 300dpi.
robject
June 3rd, 2005, 10:23 AM
They're 1.4:1 -- playing cards, baseball cards, that size. At 300dpi they're 3.5" x 2.5".

If you've got Paint Shop Pro, you can load up the 'real' files, which are layered.
Chuck Anumia
June 3rd, 2005, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Lackey:
[Armor] Aquatic Suit
[Armor] Battle Dress
[Armor] Chameleon Suit
[Armor] Cloth Armor
[Armor] Combat Armor
[Armor] Combat Environment Suit
[Armor] Flak Jacket
[Armor] Hostile Environment Suit
[Armor] Powered Suit
[Armor] Reflec
[Armor] Vac Suit

[Decorations] Digest Touring Award
[Decorations] Foundation Fellowship
[Decorations] Imperial Citizenship
[Decorations] IISS Card
[Decorations] IA Card
[Decorations] IN Card
[Decorations] IM Card
[Decorations] MCG
[Decorations] MCUF
[Decorations] Mercenary License
[Decorations] Patent of Nobility (Baron)
[Decorations] Patent of Nobility (Knight)
[Decorations] PhD Certificate
[Decorations] Professional License
[Decorations] Prospecting License
[Decorations] Salvage License
[Decorations] SEH
[Decorations] Science Academy
[Decorations] TAS Membership
[Decorations] TAS Reporter Credentials
[Decorations] Trade Guild Membership
[Decorations] Zhunastu Prize

[Drugs] Antibiotics
[Drugs] Antitoxins
[Drugs] Combat
[Drugs] Fast
[Drugs] Metaboloics
[Drugs] Slow
[Drugs] Truth
[Drugs] Vaccines

[Equipment] Atmospheric Reentry Pack
[Equipment] Binoculars, Electronic
[Equipment] Binoculars, Optical
[Equipment] Breathing Mask, Atmospheric
[Equipment] Breathing Mask, Aquatic
[Equipment] Communicator, Portable
[Equipment] Flashlight
[Equipment] Goggles, Night Vision
[Equipment] Goggles, Protective
[Equipment] Hand Computer
[Equipment] Medical Kit
[Equipment] Medical Scanner, Portable
[Equipment] Ore Assay Kit
[Equipment] Parachute
[Equipment] Psi Shield Helm
[Equipment] Recorder, Audio
[Equipment] Recorder, Video
[Equipment] Zero-G Maneuver Pack

[Spacecraft] Fighter
[Spacecraft] Gig
[Spacecraft] Launch
[Spacecraft] Ship's Boat
[Spacecraft] Slow Boat
[Spacecraft] Pinnace
[Spacecraft] Slow Pinnace
[Spacecraft] Modular Cutter Frame
[Spacecraft] Modular Cutter Module
[Spacecraft] Shuttle

[Starship] A Free-Trader
[Starship] _ Far-Trader
[Starship] C Mercenary
[Starship] E Escort
[Starship] J Seeker
[Starship] K Safari
[Starship] L Laboratory
[Starship] M Liner
[Starship] P Privateer
[Starship] R Merchant
[Starship] S Scout
[Starship] T Patrol
[Starship] Y Yacht

[Vehicle] ATV
[Vehicle] Air Craft
[Vehicle] Air/Raft
[Vehicle] Cargo Loader
[Vehicle] GCarrier
[Vehicle] Grav Belt
[Vehicle] Grav Bike
[Vehicle] Ground Vehicle
[Vehicle] Speeder
[Vehicle] Water Craft

[Weapon] ACR
[Weapon] Carbine
[Weapon] Cutlass
[Weapon] FGMP
[Weapon] Foil
[Weapon] Gauss
[Weapon] Grenade
[Weapon] Gyrojet
[Weapon] Laser
[Weapon] PGMP
[Weapon] Pistol
[Weapon] Revolver
[Weapon] Rifle
[Weapon] SMG
[Weapon] Shotgun
[Weapon] Survival Knife
[Weapon] Weapon Sight, Electronic
[Weapon] Weapon Sight, Optical

oops, almost forgot,

[Race] Aslan
[Race] Darrian
[Race] Droyne
[Race] Hiver
[Race] K'kree
[Race] Luriani
[Race] Solomani
[Race] Sydite
[Race] Ursa
[Race] Vargr
[Race] Vilani
[Race] Virushi
[Race] Zhodani My Suggestions are:
MK II Drop Capsule
TAS High Passage
K Bar Knife
Merc Unit Insignia (CAMC, Blood Fists, Tiger Battalion, ETC.)
Assault Fighter (TL 12)
Assault Carrier (TL 12)
Murka Class Combat Shuttle (TL 12)
Barlax III Class Assault Lander (TL 12)
Body Pistol
Claymore
Claymore Mine
Automed
Utility Vest
Utility Belt

Security Bot
Emergency Shelter
Pilots License
Engineering License
Navigators License
Gunnery Score Sheet
Fritz_Brown
June 3rd, 2005, 11:16 AM
BTW, I kinda like the ammo boxes. But, even if these were self-print, would you want to write and erase a bunch on these things? Though it's not terribly expensive, the business card stock isn't exctly cheap, either.
Fritz_Brown
June 3rd, 2005, 11:23 AM
Baron, Body Pistol is included with Pistol - they're very similar, except a few stats.

And, um, "Utility Belt"? I think the Hero conversion is on another thread... :D

rob, I see the aspect ratio, now that I'm playing with them. It won't work on business cards at that size. Business cards are 2x3.5. A print shop should be able to cut the card stock to our preferred size. Or, you can invest in one of those paper choppers. (BTW, be careful with those - by some of the typing on these boards, y'all can't afford to lose any more fingers. graemlins/file_22.gif ) I'll keep looking at options on printing material.
Fritz_Brown
June 3rd, 2005, 11:59 AM
BINGO! I love Google... I have found three sources for playing cards that you can print from your computer. Now, I don't know the precise layout of any of these sheets, so can't play with them just yet, but here goes:

Proto Parts - Playing Card Sheets - Perforated Poker Sized (http://bgdf.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=33&osCsid=2b52bd0c216ff31aa3d0c56099120e0c)
6 to a sheet, $.34/sheet, $8/25, shipping &lt$4 for up to 75 sheets.
(They have blank 6-sided dice, as well!)

Newt's Playing Cards - DESIGN-A-CARD-100 (http://www.newtscards.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=DESIGN-A-CARD-100)
6 to a sheet, pack of 20 sheets, $9, &lt$7 shipping to me in Virginia.

PlainCards - Blank Playing Cards with Printed Backs (http://www.plaincards.com/Pages/BB.htm)
8 to a sheet, 18 sheets, plus a can of shellac to coat the cards after printing and 2 plastic boxes for card decks, $19.95 (just the cards is $11.75), $8.55 shipping to VA.

The first listed is cheapest per card. All these will supposedly work in inkjets. Some have fancy software you have to buy, others have templates. I could build my own MS Word template pretty easily once I had a sheet in hand - for free.
far-trader
June 3rd, 2005, 12:12 PM
Excellent hunting Fritz!

Yeah, business cards would be a bit small to use. As for using the ammo boxes or other write on, well if you drop the finished cards in a cheap-o plastic sleeve (if we do it in the right size) then you can just use an eraseable on the sleeve and the card stays pristine.
Chuck Anumia
June 3rd, 2005, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Fritz88:

And, um, "Utility Belt"? I think the Hero conversion is on another thread... :D
You are correct sir smile.gif

I should have specified Web style Utility Belt with suspenders. Used for strapping other pouches and items to. Much Like the US Military has beed using for generations. ;)
DaveChase
June 3rd, 2005, 01:15 PM
Question

Just a dream/wish list or actually trying to make a CCG?

If not a CCG then what exactly?

Thanks

Dave
far-trader
June 3rd, 2005, 01:46 PM
NOT a CCG! ;) Despite the perhaps now misleading title. That particular thread was months (years?) ago smile.gif

This is more a play-aid and imagination spark. At least I think that's the point.
robject
June 3rd, 2005, 01:50 PM
Not a CCG, more of a resource. A picture and bare data sheet, a la DGP's Equipment Sheets, condensed onto a baseball card.

Would it be useful? Handy? Nifty?
Chuck Anumia
June 3rd, 2005, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by lackey:
Not a CCG, more of a resource. A picture and bare data sheet, a la DGP's Equipment Sheets, condensed onto a baseball card.

Would it be useful? Handy? Nifty? I would use them today (tonight?) if I had a set.

They spark imagination just thinking about a character walking through the Starport security screen area and flashing his IN card (with his SEH and MCG) at the Vid Camera. :D

Now
Are they "Trading Cards" or "Playing Aids"?
robject
June 3rd, 2005, 03:32 PM
Depends how many people make their own (using BeRKA's soon-to-be-released Generic Trading Card Generation CGI Utility of course!).

By the way, what's an IN card look like? And TAS, for that matter...
far-trader
June 3rd, 2005, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by lackey:
Depends how many people make their own (using BeRKA's soon-to-be-released Generic Trading Card Generation CGI Utility of course!).Have you caught him? I was going to mention it subtly earlier (you know, something like... "BeRKA! We have you surrounded! Make this happen and we'll forgive and forget!"), but well subtlety only gets you so far ;)

Originally posted by lackey:
By the way, what's an IN card look like? And TAS, for that matter... I have some MT era membership cards that might be a starting point. Have to see if I can turn them up this weekend and maybe add some of my own graphics to the thread.
DaveChase
June 3rd, 2005, 04:41 PM
OK, thanks for the clarification smile.gif

I guess I will put away the CCG thinking cap ;)

(Still in the mind set of my last job as Director of Gaming Initiatives and Entertainment Licenses.

Dave
robject
June 3rd, 2005, 05:19 PM
Hey, don't stop thinking CCG just because I'm not there. Especially if you're currently geared that way. And especially if BeRKA's neat little gadget will let you churn out custom cards however you like them.
Chuck Anumia
June 3rd, 2005, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by far-trader:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by lackey:
By the way, what's an IN card look like? And TAS, for that matter... Originally posted by far-trader:
I have some MT era membership cards that might be a starting point. Have to see if I can turn them up this weekend and maybe add some of my own graphics to the thread. I was thinking they look something like US Military ID cards (with a blank in the center for a passport picture).
Chuck Anumia
June 3rd, 2005, 05:44 PM
Next we need some Imperial Credits (kind of like our own Monopoly money) graemlins/file_21.gif graemlins/file_21.gif graemlins/file_21.gif graemlins/file_22.gif
Shadowdancer
June 3rd, 2005, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Baron W. The PreacherMan:
Next we need some Imperial Credits (kind of like our own Monopoly money) graemlins/file_21.gif graemlins/file_21.gif graemlins/file_21.gif graemlins/file_22.gif Someone already made some, IIRC, for their own game. They posted a link on the boards sometime, in the distant past.
robject
June 3rd, 2005, 11:30 PM
I made some, and they were horrible. Well, not very good, anyway.

But, someone crafted a Cr10 note that is absolutely beautiful.
clementk
June 3rd, 2005, 11:44 PM
Traveller Downport's (http://traveller.downport.com/art/)

another version (http://members.at.infoseek.co.jp/poppo_plan/bill.htm)
(latter original found from this thread (http://www.travellerrpg.com/cgi-bin/Trav/CotI/Discuss/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001198))

HTH.
Andrew Boulton
June 4th, 2005, 08:27 AM
The official Cr10 note:

http://www.cix.co.uk/~fubar/Traveller/cr10.jpg
Chuck Anumia
June 9th, 2005, 05:36 PM
So....How much in USD $ will these cost to produce?
robject
June 10th, 2005, 06:00 PM
With a little elbow grease from BeRKA, there is a rudimentary automatic card generator in development. Please take a look at these generated samples and see what you think about them. Is there enough detail? What do you like/dislike about it?

http://home.comcast.net/~downport/cards/automated_cards.html
Baron Saarthuran
June 11th, 2005, 06:17 AM
http://www.geocities.com/chuckshaw2000/currencydocs.html?1118484762421

Here's some ok pics of some stuff I did a while back. The Passport and Patent are new, leftover from a failed campaign. This is raw stuff, but I went on the notion that the notes were from a block of plastic. I think they mention that somewhere. Sorry if the Images are large, I did it for clarity.
robject
June 12th, 2005, 12:09 AM
Nice passport! Borrowed...

Well, out of boredom, I built 3 sets of 'trading cards' from The Traveller Adventure, Knightfall, MT rulebooks, Survival Margin, and Jesse DeGraff's starship renders. I used one of my more worn trading cards as a template, to give them a more realistic feel.

http://home.comcast.net/~starcharts/ttc/Series-1.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~starcharts/ttc/Series-2.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~starcharts/ttc/Series-3.jpg

Enjoy!
robject
June 13th, 2005, 04:11 PM
I agree. Data sheets are actually useful.

Cards are most useful when they are marked up to match the characteristics of a piece of equipment the player has -- specific data for that instance only.

I was just in a mood when I put those cute little cards together.

Note that series 3 does have some of the starship data cards, albeit with that cheesy retro card border.
Baron Saarthuran
June 14th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Hey Rob, what cards did you use for the base card itself? Was it Battlestar Galactica? Seen them before... must know! Driving me crazy!
robject
January 5th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Thread Resurrect

It just ocurred to me that a deck of playing cards with decorations in CrImp variations could also double as ... playing cards.

So your suits would map to an Era in Imperial History, with the face cards being portraits of the Emperor, Empress, and Next in Line for that era...

Milieu Zero
Year 200
Barracks Emperors
Frontier Wars


2-10 as Cr10, Cr20, Cr50, Cr100, Cr1,000, Cr5,000, Cr10,000, Cr25,000
Ace as Cr100,000
JKQ as the three top SOC H crowd.

hmmmmm...
Magnus von Thornwood
September 9th, 2008, 02:39 PM
So you have all these groovy @ss cards, which of course I can't download, since they moved and so I just have these taunting post to look at.

Oh and of course you need the great and wonderful AAB ID card and AAB Library card. :p

Ohterwise, I have been digging the whole Idea and the last list seemed pretty good to me.

And laughing again the Dreaded Thread Necromancer strikes!

EDIT: Oh and if anyone cares I still have Supplement 12: Charts and Forms which has various well, charts and forms. :p But it also has like Megacorp IDs and I think IN and such.
DaveChase
September 11th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Nice passport! Borrowed...

Well, out of boredom, I built 3 sets of 'trading cards' from The Traveller Adventure, Knightfall, MT rulebooks, Survival Margin, and Jesse DeGraff's starship renders. I used one of my more worn trading cards as a template, to give them a more realistic feel.

http://home.comcast.net/~starcharts/ttc/Series-1.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~starcharts/ttc/Series-2.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~starcharts/ttc/Series-3.jpg

Enjoy!

Bicycle Cards have a program where you can have your own decks made with your own pictures. A bit costly but it might be worth it.
(this is refering to this post and the card post also.)

Dave Chase
Magnus von Thornwood
September 11th, 2008, 09:51 PM
That'd be uber slick like awesome and stuff.

No seriously that would be excellent, but I am all hooked on handouts, charts and forms...*shrugs*
Hemdian
September 12th, 2008, 02:45 PM
MegaTraveller had a series of Equipiment Data Sheets that were much like this. A good idea, well done, just a victim of the legacy of MT errata.

I've used them successfully in my campaigns. But what I do is:

I made up sheets for most pieces of equipment available in a DTP package and printed off 1 sheet per item. So if a PC had 2 revolvers I'd hand them 2 revolver sheets. Each PC had a folder. Sheets in the folder represented equipment owned, out of the folder and with the character sheet represented equipment carried. If that PC hands one of their revolvers to another PC they hand over the sheet. No arguments over who has what, what was left behind, how encumbered a character is, etc.

UPDATE: Huh? Just realised I've replied to a post made over 3 years ago. This is an old thread. :oo:
Magnus von Thornwood
September 12th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Nice idea, I will of course, swipe it now. Thanks.

Too bad the links in this Thread don't work!

Rob totally teased me, nary a glance, did I get...
robject
September 12th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Well why didn't you ask? Oh, you did.

Peruse some of the cards here:

http://eaglestone.pocketempires.com/img/
Magnus von Thornwood
September 12th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Ah, now I feel all better...about this that is.

Thanks again Rob!
DaveChase
September 13th, 2008, 10:27 AM
I've used them successfully in my campaigns. But what I do is:

I made up sheets for most pieces of equipment available in a DTP package and printed off 1 sheet per item. So if a PC had 2 revolvers I'd hand them 2 revolver sheets. Each PC had a folder. Sheets in the folder represented equipment owned, out of the folder and with the character sheet represented equipment carried. If that PC hands one of their revolvers to another PC they hand over the sheet. No arguments over who has what, what was left behind, how encumbered a character is, etc.

UPDATE: Huh? Just realised I've replied to a post made over 3 years ago. This is an old thread. :oo:

Had a GM like that once. He was great to play under (mainly fantasy games though).
You had to turn in your character sheet and items list at the end of every game. First time you forgot to, that character would have a serious injury, like stroke, horse ran you over extra. The second time your character died, period. Third time you were not allowed to play in that game any more.

But you might want to keep a list character and the of the items that you had on your character and compare them each time when you got your sheet back. Some times that little unknown magic item might have changed (or changeds something in your pack) that rock you picked up might be cracking and sometimes items might be missing.
Now if you missed a session the GM would play your character (if required, say in the middle of a dungeon with no way to sit it out) and then it was extremely important to check your character. Any thing that was known to your character was written down by the GM and of course if you noticed something different that was not written down then your character did not notice it and you might want to check with the local thief

Dave Chase
mmbutter
September 13th, 2008, 08:54 PM
I keep the char sheets as well for my games. A few days before each game session, I would add in the points earned last session, along with any notes the player had sent me for the log, and send out a PDF of the character sheet; the player could look it over, spend points on stuff, let me know if there were any corrections, etc.

Game day, I will print a fresh character sheet for each player.
Hemdian
September 16th, 2008, 01:07 PM
With regard to character sheets another technique I use is this: Whenever the player is about to make a roll which will result in their character's death if they fail, I ask the player to hand over their character sheet. :devil:

If they make the roll they get it back. :)


If they fail the roll I rip the character sheet in half right before their eyes! :eek:

Now that they know I do this merely asking them for their character sheets is enough to make them stop and reconsider their actions. Character death has become more 'real' and this affects their behaviour. It helps keep them focused. :cool:
coliver988
September 27th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Not particularly for Traveller, and I don't speak German, but these are cool trading cards for further ideas:
http://www.rz-journal.de/Gjoergens/Html/Trade-I_1.htm
Rhialto the Marvelous
September 27th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Oh wow... those cards are for a Perry Rhodan TCG.

Perry Rhodan is the German answer to Buck Rogers, except there's no tongue in the cheek of most of his fans.

The cards look fabulous, though. If Marc had a budget to commission that guy... I'm sure even in b/w they would work and look just great...
far-trader
September 27th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Not particularly for Traveller, and I don't speak German, but these are cool trading cards for further ideas:
http://www.rz-journal.de/Gjoergens/Html/Trade-I_1.htm

:rofl:

Oh yeah, and all the PCs will want the first one there. A nuclear grenade launcher. Wonder what the range is? And the blast radius? That's what I thought, a suicide weapon. Wonder why it has a magazine then :oo:
DaveChase
September 30th, 2008, 10:10 AM
from the orginal Space Marine (Games Workshop) book.

As for the details, (IMO)

Atom rockets are only used in space or planets with no atmosphere and light gravity.
Similar to the current US military Dragon missile the rockets are used to penetrate armor vehicles or building/structures.
I estimate the range to be about 10k with a danger zone of 3k for blast and 10k for radi if no hard suits are being worn.

Dave Chase
mmbutter
September 30th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Oh yeah, and all the PCs will want the first one there. A nuclear grenade launcher. Wonder what the range is? And the blast radius? That's what I thought, a suicide weapon. Wonder why it has a magazine then :oo:

The US made similar weapons during the Cold War. Witness the M-388 Davy Crockett (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davy_Crockett_(nuclear_device)).

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét